All Calvert MMA Students / Potential Students must read and agree to the rules and etiquette of the Academy before participating in any activities. In addition to the below, each student will be emailed a copy of the Student Manual from Relson’s main academy upon request. It is each student’s responsibility to insure receipt, understanding, and concurrence of Relson’s student manual. If there are any questions or concerns with any part of the manual, it’s the student’s responsibility to bring issues to the attention of the academy owner for resolution.
1. Good Conduct – Student safety is of utmost concern. Any student acting in an unsafe manner or being disrespectful to instructors, students, or guest, will be immediately expelled from the Academy and will forfeit the remainder of their monthly / contractual dues.
2. Cleanliness – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, and MMA being a contact sport requires good personal hygiene in every aspect.
a. A clean uniform/clothing/equipment must be worn for each class.
b. Bodies, to include hands, feet, and hair should be clean for each class.
i. Do not wear street shoes on the Mats!
ii. If you wear wrestling shoes while training, please do not use them off the mat (i.e. walking into a bathroom, locker room, etc…)
iii. If you have a skin rash, abrasion(s), cut(s), infection or a contagious illness, you must notify your instructor before training or continuation of training.
3. Physical/Personal Safety
i. If at any time while grappling/training with a partner/opponent and you wish to stop, verbally say “stop” or “tap”, or tap repetitively with your hand/foot/etc., on your opponent or on the mat.
YOU SHOULD “TAP” WHEN EVER YOU FEEL ANY DISCOMFORT…DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU FEEL ACTUAL PAIN TO STOP OR “TAP”.
ii. While training with a partner/opponent, you are responsible and required to immediately stop and release any applied technique when your partner/opponent “Taps”. If your partner/opponent refuses to submit to an applied technique, you should discontinue the technique immediately before injury occurs and report the incident to an instructor.
i. If you have a contagious illness please do not train.
ii. If you receive an injury (to include outside the academy) immediately report it to an instructor before training or continuing training at the Academy.
c. Blood Borne Pathogens
i. If you are bleeding, discontinue training and notify instructor immediately to allow them to attend to your injury and clean /sanitize the affected mat area.
ii. If you notice blood on mats or on another student report it immediately.
d. Skin Infection/Rash
i. If you have or suspect you have a skin infection or rash, report it immediately to an instructor and seek medical attention.
ii. You will not be allowed to train with a skin infection or rash, until cleared by a medical doctor and/or Academy instructors.
e. Jewelry – For your safety, the safety of others, and to prevent damage to the mats you must not wear jewelry of any kind while training. This includes but is not limited to the following:
iii. Necklace/Bracelet/ etc…
iv. Pierced Jewelry
f. Nails – For your safety and the safety of others, your finger and toe nails should be trimmed neatly to prevent accidental cuts and lacerations to your training partner / opponent.
4. Grappling / Technique Drilling:
a. The following techniques are prohibited for all ranks during normal in-class grappling.
- Straight cervical neck cranks
- Small joint manipulations (fingers and toes)
- Fingers or hands in the mouth or ears
- Attacking the groin
- Hair pulling / grabbing
- High velocity slams from the guard
- Pinching or crushing the trachea (windpipe)
- Face crushing (choking over the face)
b. If you wish to use any of the below techniques on Purple, Brown, and Black Belt students, you must ask them and get their permission prior to each match!
- Striking or uncontrolled dropping of body weight of any kind
- Heel hooks or twisting foot locks
- Knee bars
- Toe holds
- Wrist locks
- Over guard guillotine (Peruvian neck tie)
5. Muay Thai Boxing Classes:
a. The following equipment is needed to train:
- Thai Boxing Trunks – with compression shorts underneath
- 16 or 14 oz boxing gloves
- Mouth Piece
- Groin Protection
- Shin Guards
b. Safety and Respect
- “Y” on and off the mats, to your instructors, and training partners.
- Clean any equipment you use (Bags, Mitts, Pads, Jump Ropes, etc…)
- Never intentionally harm or strike anyone with full power.
6. Non-Compete Covenant – (First published – October 27, 2007)
a. Student agrees not to teach jiu-jitsu within a 50 mile radius of any Relson Gracie Academy or Association without written permission from Relson Gracie.
b. Student agrees not to teach martial arts within a 50 mile radius of Calvert MMA Academy without written permission from Calvert MMA Academy.
c. Current Student / Member agrees not to train with / be an active member, instructor, or owner of another local martial arts school without written permission from Calvert MMA Academy.
Note: 6(a) and 6(b) apply to all current and past members of Calvert MMA Academy.